Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Global shortucut for opening new Finder window

A shortcut I always used heavily in windows was the win-e to open a explorer windows.
In Mac OS this shortcut does not exist globally.
Searching on google you get many suggestions, but all of them are in the form:
Select Finder and choose "New window". DUHHH!!
I don't like this solution because is a 2 step thing that is something I want to avoid.
Finnaly I found in this this site http://contented.qolc.net/articles/osx-global-shortcut-key-new-finder-window a good solution using the services that will allow for a global, single shortcut to open a new finder window (plus: you can tune the script to open the window in a selected location)

The service I created can be found here.

Some of the 2 step solution are interesting, so I leave here some notable solutions:
  1. Use of option-command-space that will open a search window, that is, in itself a finder window.
  2. Use ctrl-f3, this will move the focus to the Dock, pressing return will sellect the finder, because this is always the first application in the Dock.

No comments :

Post a Comment